Thursday, July 7, 2011

Orval Tappist Ale Review #12

This was reviewed by someone else, but I have had this beer at Monk's Cafe in Center City, even though it's been awhile I put some of my own perspective. I strongly feel the same way as this reviewer so I'm putting I'm my blog for anyone who wants to try a Belgian Tappist Beer.

Orval Tappist Ale
Orval Brewery
Belgian Tappist Brewery located behind the walls of the Abbaye Notre-Dame d'Orval.
Gaume, Belgium
1931
ABV: 6.2%
Orval is the main brand. It was first made in 1931 and has a complex and unusual flavor. The aroma is produces by a unique strain of yeast. The beer is light in color, slighty cloudy, and has a large foamy head. There is a complex aroma of leather, spice and many other earthy notes.

A couple of weeks ago I enjoyed Orval Trappist Ale for the first time, with brunch at Shango.



Appearance
Damn, what a head on this Belgian Pale Ale! My care in pouring the brew into the tulip was no match for this incredibly tall, billowy head. The beer itself poured a deep tangerine color and beautifully reflected sunlight.

Aroma
Pineapple. Overwhelmingly pineapple. Even my brunch mate was floored at the aroma on this. There’s also a nice touch of spice here. Definitely looking forward to the sip.

Flavor
Sweetly touched with honey, the fruity pineapple flavor remains the star for me, along with the spice that was hinted at in the nose. Finishes tart and dry, just as a Trappist Ale should. Really quite exemplary.

Mouthfeel
Smooth and medium bodied with a champagne-like carbonation.

Overall
As I mentioned before, Orval is an exemplary brew of the style. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment