Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sunlight Cream Ale Review #14

Sunlight Cream Ale: A Beer Review
Sun King Brewery
135 N. College
Idianapolis,IN 46202

I never heard of this beer, but browsing throughout the Internet and found this review. The review made the beer sound delicious, so if you can find it, you have a review. Unfortunatley I can’t find this beer, so I haven’t tried it, but maybe you can.

Many thanks to my Twitter pal @brewner for sending a few brews from Sun King Brewery in Indianapolis, as part of his payment to a bet he lost to me during football season. I decided that I would first review the Sunlight Cream Ale because of all the styles that were sent to me, this is my least favorite. Figured I’d get it out of the way, as it were.

This was one of the most difficult beers I’ve reviewed to date, honestly. Specific aromas and flavors were rather unclear to me, but not because Sunlight isn’t full-flavored. They just simply melded together in what smelled and tasted like “beer,” as it were. I was able to pick up a bit, but if you have had this brew and think you can help pull more specifics, please pass them along to me.

Appearance
Hazy, golden orange with about one and a half fingers of creamy-looking head that disappeared quickly. I barely had enough time to catch it in a photo (as you can see in the shot below).

Aroma
I feel as though I may be flogged for this, but my first, second and third sniff left me thinking, “smells like beer.” I really had to search hard to pull out specifics. The best I could do here was a lightly honey-sweet malt aroma with a hint of squash.

Taste
As the aroma suggested, Sunlight tastes like beer [Hannah says, ducking]. After about halfway through the beer, I was able to pull the lightly sweet, honey flavor that I noticed in the nose. The malty sweetness was balanced by a lightly hoppy tang. I swear my vagueness isn’t because I’m not a huge fan of the style. I honestly am having a very difficult time pinning down specifics.

Mouthfeel
As I would expect, the mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a slightly crisp carbonation, which keeps it from being syrupy.

Overall
Sun King Brewing’s Sunlight perfectly represents all that I’ve ever known of cream ale, so if it’s a style you dig, you’ll most likely enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment