Saturday, August 20, 2011

Allagash Brewing-Dubbel Reserve Review By @NightHops

It seems that this was the week where I finally decided to drink the beer that has been in the wine fridge for a while and this was the last of them.  The likelihood is that I will just replace these with some other bottles anyway, but it was time for those last few to go.  I probably held onto this one longer than I would have just because I know I cannot get it here in Florida anymore (though I do have another bottle in waiting).  Any of my family or friends who bring me some Allagash beer when they come to visit will certainly be let into the house even if they arrive without notice.

Another good one to close the week . . .

Brewery: Allagash Brewing (Portland, ME)

Name: Dubbel Reserve

Style: Belgian Dubbel

ABV: 7.00% (on bottle)

Tasting Notes: Stored in the wine fridge (54 degrees +/-) before serving in a stemmed goblet/chalice. Bottle from Batch #89.

Aroma: A full, rich, malty aroma that seems to have a hint of chocolate.  Subtle, but complex with a light spiciness and some notes of dark fruit (raisins).  Very well balanced and quite a nice overall aroma. – 10.5/12

Appearance: Deep amber in color with a bit of copper and red tones to it.  One finger cream color head with excellent retention and leaving a solid trail along the glass.  Super clear with rising bubbles visible. – 2.5/3

Flavor: Lots of malty flavor with a brown sugary, dark caramel characteristic to it.  Very light spiciness with notes of dried fruit and a light roasty flavor toward the finish that is somewhat chocolately.  Certainly the balance is to the malty side.  Finishes very nicely dry with a slight lingering sweetness. – 17/20

Mouthfeel: Medium(ish) in body with a moderate to high level of carbonation that is quite fine and adds some sharpness.  Nicely creamy on the palate. – 4/5

Overall Impressions: A really nice overall flavor that does not linger much and I like that in this one.  The head actually dissipated pretty quickly just after I wrote excellent retention.  This bottle has some age on it now and was likely more robust initially, but like how the flavors have mellowed together.  Best consumed at cellar temperatures as the cold would cover up way too much here.  Not necessarily my favorite Allagash, but it does make me miss them.  Could have easily been talked into an A, but maybe that was sentimental since I can no longer get it. – 8.5/10

Overall: A- (42.5/50)

No comments:

Post a Comment