Friday, September 23, 2011

9 Reasons To Drink In A Bar

A Bar Called Cajun Mike's 9 Reasons Are As Follows:
1. We Are Fully Prepared For The Zombie Apocalypse.
2. We Probably Won't Give You Syphilis.
3. Ain't No Party Like A Liver Failure Party.
4. Complimentary Prostate Exam With A $10 Purchase.
5. Women With Loose Morals And Questionable Standards.
6. There Is No Sobriety Only ZUUl!
7. I Put LSD In One Of The Bottles And Don't Know Which One.
8. Your Poor Desicion Making Skills Are Dangerously Rusty.
9. Jesus Said, "Yea, And Thou Shalt Act The Fool.

Here are my top 9 reasons for drinking at the bars I like best:

1. Good Beer Selection
I’m a beer geek and there’s nothing more disappointing than walking into a place and realizing the only "craft beer" option they have is Shocktop.

2. Clean Glassware
I know that glass washing machines don’t always perform at 100% but it’s seriously gross to get a beautifully poured beer in a pint glass with someone else’s lipstick on it.

3. Friendly & Attentive Staff
Ever notice how places seem more fun when you’re friends with the bartender? When people pay attention to you, joke around and are generally pleasant it’s hard not to have a good time.

4. Free Food
I know this sounds silly (and possibly cheap) but my two favorite dive bars here in Buffalo both use free food to lure people in. One offers free popcorn and the other always has free nachos (with all of the toppings!) After a night out, free nachos are more than enough someone to choose that establishment for a nightcap.

5. A Good Crowd
No one likes drinking alone. Bars that have a crowd of the kind of people you like being around are always more enjoyable than bars that are empty or filled with d-bags and divas in their best prissy pants.

6. Good/Proper Acoustics & Lighting
When I go out, I go out to socialize and there’s nothing worse than being in a bar that is so ungodly loud I can’t hear myself think, let alone catch what my buddy next to me is saying. Similarly, it’s not always good to feel like you’re in a cave but if the light pours in and blinds you before the sun goes down, that can be obnoxious too.

7. Decent Music Selection
Whether it’s a jukebox, someone’s iPod plugged into the speakers system or a live band, the music makes a difference. I know everyone has different preferences but there’s plenty of music that pleases almost everyone (or at least refrains from annoying them) – classic rock, party hits, that kind of thing…

8. Fun & Games
There is a bar that I go to strictly because I love playing shuffleboard there. There’s another bar I like because of their photo booth. Darts are fun but I guess I kind of expect a dart board at most places. People like pool… you get the point.

9. Adult Atmosphere
When I was in college I went to college bars and now that I’m 5 years out, I find myself annoyed when there are bunches of underage kids binge drinking around me. I like places that can pull off classy without being pretentious. Basically, I’d rather see art on the walls than chewing gum.

There you have it folks. Anything I missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment